Thursday, March 29, 2012

Old apartment = New Creative Design Tricks

More than mixing in my kitchen...


When I moved into my new apartment I found myself completely bored with the plain white cabinets, but I know that it's hard to renovate or change anything because everything needs to be the way it was when you moved in or they will charge you for damage to the unit.

I contemplated several quick fixes to add some color without painting or spending a ton of money.















  • Remove cabinet doors and shelving. Place screws in a plastic bag and tape it to the back of the cabinet door.
  • Wipe down the cabinets interior (You never know how well it was cleaned before you moved in.)
  • Measure the length and width with measuring tape or a string.
  • On the adhesive paper mark the length and width, but add a little extra to your measurement just to be safe.
  • After you cut the paper place it in the space to make sure it fits exactly - then cut off any extra.
  • Peel back the top two inches of adhesive paper and slowly apply to the back of the cabinet (you can reposition the paper better if there is less adhesive exposed).
  • Smooth out any air bubbles and place the shelving in the cabinet.
It was so easy I did it by myself in an hour.

I got the green adhesive paper I used is $2.00 from Walmart but, there is several places that sell this tyoe of paper. The Container Store also carries adhesive cabinet liner.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment